Thursday, January 1, 2009

Are you going to be more tied down this year?


Believe it or not, two of my favorite things during the Christmas season is my wife's company and my wife's cooking. Claudia and I spend more time together during the holiday season than normal, and she does a lot more baking. In a way, you could say I am more tied down during the holidays since there is so much to do at home and since I spend more time at home than usual. But being 'tied down' is a wonderful thing when you are tied to people and things that you love. I'm not very good around the house, but I have learned through the years to trust that Claudia appreciates my feeble efforts to be a help, and is glad that we're together.

Sometimes I think this is a lot like our relationship with God, or at least a lot like what it should be. Two of our favorite things should be God's company, and enjoying His work in our lives and in those around us. Yes, having a close relationship with the Lord will mean spending more time together, and getting used to the fact that we may not be very good at what we know He wants us to do. But we must trust that He appreciates our feeble efforts, and that He is just glad you're together.

When we live with and serve the Lord there is a sweet fragrance in our life, and it is a sweet fragrance that the Lord Himself can smell!

And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma. Ephesians 5:2.

Indeed I have all and abound. I am full, having received from Epaphroditus the things [sent] from you, a sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God. Phil.4:18.

Those of you that are part of the Calvary Chapel Space Coast family here me talk about God always having something good cooking in the kitchen. Let's not forget that the best way to show our appreciation for who He is, and what He has done, is to make the effort to 'stay around the house' and do what we can, whether we think we're good at it, or not.

Here's to an awesome 2009 together!
All by His grace, all for His glory,
Pastor B.

No comments:

Post a Comment