Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Three Keys to Joy in the Lord


Have you ever wondered why some Christ followers are just so happy in the Lord, and some seem so down trodden? This is a topic we could probably write books on, but I thought I'd take the time to at least point out three keys to a joyful Christian life.

#1- Don't focus on what you're accomplishing for Christ, but on WHO YOU ARE IN CHRIST- His redeemed child!

Then the seventy returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name." And He said to them, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven." (Luk 10:17-20)


#2- Don't focus on having the good life, but on BEING A GOOD WITNESS for the Lord Jesus- especially in the midst of hard times.

And when they had come to him, he said to them: "You know, from the first day that I came to Asia, in what manner I always lived among you, serving the Lord with all humility, with many tears and trials which happened to me by the plotting of the Jews; how I kept back nothing that was helpful, but proclaimed it to you, and taught you publicly and from house to house, testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
(Act 20:18-24)



#3- Make a constant effort to apply the Word of God to your life, and to spread the Word of God everywhere that you can. (i.e., Be an example of how to turn from indulging in the things of the world [our desires and idols], to serving the living and true God. )

For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance, as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sake. And you became followers of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became examples to all in Macedonia and Achaia who believe. For from you the word of the Lord has sounded forth, not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place. Your faith toward God has gone out, so that we do not need to say anything. For they themselves declare concerning us what manner of entry we had to you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.
(1Th 1:5-10)

Yours in Him,
Pastor B.

No comments:

Post a Comment