Thursday, February 18, 2010

How to Pray for God's People


Daniel the prophet was a mighty man of prayer. I thought I'd share one of his prayers with you so that you could see how he approached God on behalf of God's people. The Babylonians had invaded Judea, sacked Jerusalem, destroyed the temple, and had taken many, including Daniel, to Babylon.

And I prayed to the LORD my God, and made confession, and said, "O Lord, great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and mercy with those who love Him, and with those who keep His commandments, we have sinned and committed iniquity, we have done wickedly and rebelled, even by departing from Your precepts and Your judgments.
(Dan 9:4-5)

Even though Daniel, himself, had been faithful to the Lord, he identified himself as part of the dispersed Judeans, and said "WE have sinned and committed iniquity". He could have said, "Those rebellious Judeans that turned from you have sinned and committed iniquity", but he said, "we have sinned". A good start at interceding on the part of your family or church family is to take "ownership" of your family. You are a part of your family, and you are therefore a part of the sin that goes on as well as the good things that go on. "We have sinned".

"O Lord, according to all Your righteousness, I pray, let Your anger and Your fury be turned away from Your city Jerusalem, Your holy mountain; because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and Your people are a reproach to all those around us. Now therefore, our God, hear the prayer of Your servant, and his supplications, and for the Lord's sake cause Your face to shine on Your sanctuary, which is desolate. O my God, incline Your ear and hear; open Your eyes and see our desolations, and the city which is called by Your name; for we do not present our supplications before You because of our righteous deeds, but because of Your great mercies. O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and act! Do not delay for Your own sake, my God, for Your city and Your people are called by Your name." Now while I was speaking, praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God, yes, while I was speaking in prayer, the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, reached me about the time of the evening offering. And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, "O Daniel, I have now come forth to give you skill to understand. At the beginning of your supplications the command went out, and I have come to tell you, for you are greatly beloved; therefore consider the matter, and understand the vision:
(Dan 9:16-23)

Daniel pleaded on behalf of God's people, not because they were deserving of His favor, but because they bore His name.

Daniel confessed his own personal sin before God, as well as the sins of God's people. No pointing of the finger at his fellow dispersed Judeans who had been disobedient to the Lord. No excuses. Just a plea for mercy based on the good name of the Lord and His mercy.

God is slow to anger and abounding in mercy (Psalm 103:8).

Don't hesitate to pray to your heavenly Father, and while you're at it, take the time to pray on behalf of your Christian church family as well as your immediate family.

Yours in Him,
Pastor B.

No comments:

Post a Comment