Friday, January 29, 2010

Now Let Us Have a Little Talk with Jesus


Communication is vital to a healthy relationship. Right?

So how is your communication with the Lord going? I'm particularly interested in how your communication has been if you have had any issues with the Lord lately. What? Issues with the Lord? Those that have walked with the Lord over the years, know exactly what I'm talking about. We expect a lot from Him, and sometimes we can feel abandoned, ignored, disappointed, and yes, even a little put out with Him. What do you do when you are having these feelings? Do you talk with Him about it?

Just as in human relationships, we either address the issue with Him head on, or we avoid it and pretend there isn't an issue.

Holly Weeks wrote an article on communication in the Harvard Business Press and said the following: "stressful conversations carry a heavy emotional load. Indeed, stressful conversations cause such anxiety that most people simply avoid them. Yet . . . avoidance usually only worsens a problem or a relationship."

The Bible says David had a heart after God. Here are a few of his conversations with the Lord.

"How long, LORD? Will You hide Yourself forever? Will Your wrath burn like fire? Remember how short my time is; For what futility have You created all the children of men? What man can live and not see death? Can he deliver his life from the power of the grave? Selah. Lord, where are Your former lovingkindnesses, Which You swore to David in Your truth? (Psa 89:46-49)

"How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, Having sorrow in my heart daily? How long will my enemy be exalted over me?" (Psa 13:1-2)

David was not disrespectful, but he also was willing to be up front with the Lord about his feelings. We have a tendency to avoid God when we are not happy with Him, and this is the worst thing we can do. We should talk to Him. I'm not talking about complaining, as the Word of God tells us how grating that is to Him. And I'm not talking about refusing to praise Him, as the Word of God commands us to praise Him at all times. I'm just talking about keeping the communication going between the two of you, even in the times when you might not be particularly happy with Him about something. The Word of God tells us that He does care, and is full of compassion. (e.g., Psalm 111:4, Matthew 9:46).

Below are some words from an old gospel song by Cleavant Derricks called, "Just a Little Talk with Jesus":

I may have doubts and fears, my eyes be filled with tears,
But Jesus is a friend who watches day and night;
I go to Him in prayer, He knows my ev'ry care,
And just a little talk with Jesus makes it right.

Now let us have a little talk with Jesus.
Let us tell Him all about our troubles.
He will hear our faintest cry
And He will answer by and by.

Your God cares, He is a good listener, and He will answer you by and by.
Yours in Him,
Pastor B.

No comments:

Post a Comment